Job: Social Media Consultant at UN Women
The African Union defines gender equality as “the absence of discrimination based on a person’s sex (or gender) in opportunities, allocation of resources or benefits, or in access to services” (AU, Gender Policy, 2008, pp.28). This does not mean that women and men share the same biology, but rather the assumption is that they are of equal value as human beings and should be granted equal rights and opportunities.
This right does not translate into equal participation in politics and decision-making. Nigerian women currently make up only 4.47% of legislators in the National Assembly and 4.43% of State Houses of Assembly, with 14 State Houses having no representation. Women’s representation in Nigeria has steadily fallen since 2007 and risks continuing to decline without strong action to halt the trend. The representation of women in elective and appointed positions in Nigeria is the lowest in the sub-region.
Nearly 1 in 4 people in sub-Saharan Africa live in Nigeria; is growing at more than 7% a year, yet women are underrepresented in the bodies that make the decisions that affect their lives. Even when they are represented, the influence of elected women is sometimes limited, due to the centralization of party control in the male-dominated party leadership and gendered norms and procedures in political institutions.
To advance women’s political participation in Nigeria, there is an urgent need to promote social justice and the benefits of women’s leadership and political participation. The more people are aware of a problem, the more likely they are to take action. It is also important that some misconceptions about gender roles and myths surrounding women’s political participation are addressed as we head into 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct a national social media campaign to promote women’s political participation in the 2023 general elections
- Develop evidence-based key messages on women’s leadership and political participation
- Develop engaging and compelling social media assets including infographics, animations and short videos
- Engage celebrities and social media influencers to participate in the social media campaign
- Plan and organize virtual quizzes and lectures on Instagram Live Chats and Twitter Spaces
- Increase the number of followers on official UN Women social media platforms by 100%
- Write monthly reports that consist of periodic reach and impression analyses.
- Perform any other related task as needed
- Develop at least 5 compelling evidence-based key messages on women’s leadership and political participation each week for broadcast
- Develop at least 2 multimedia products for social media each month: this includes infographics, animations and short videos
- Engage at least 5 high profile celebrities and social media influencers to share campaign assets at least once a week
- Engage at least 10 high profile celebrities and social media influencers to appear in at least one short video for the campaign
- Host at least one or two social media chats or conferences on at least one of the following platforms: Instagram Live Chats and Twitter Spaces; with the participation of high-level experts
- Increase the number of followers on the official UN Women social media platform by 100% by the end of the campaign
- Get at least 500,000 reaches and 1 million impressions for each social network
- Collect at least 1 million reach and 3 million impressions each month on each platform
- Submit monthly campaign reports, including periodic reach and impression analyses.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in accordance with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and in-depth knowledge of relevant areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation for the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Core Competencies and Guiding Principles
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and vision of UN Women.
- Able to work effectively within a team.
- Demonstrates cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability.
- Able to multi-task and juggle competing demands.
- Can quickly assess and prioritize work needs.
- Able to liaise with external partners including other international organizations and agencies, NGOs, grassroots community groups, etc.
- Close relationship with celebrities and social media influencers nationally and regionally
- Strong expertise in gender equality and women’s empowerment, including women’s peace and security and women’s political participation
- Demonstrated leadership and personal examples promoting knowledge management and a professional learning environment.
- Exceptional networking, team building, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse partners including governments, donors, partners and civil society.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with people from diverse cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Results-based management skills.
- Ability to produce well-written documents demonstrating excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Reports / Monitoring
- The consultant will report to the National Communications Officer
- UN Women will lead the identification of beneficiaries and States to be covered
Skills and experience required
- University degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field
- At least 5 years of equivalent professional experience in social media marketing,
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing the delivery of social media assets i.e. infographics, animations and short videos
- Proven skills in social media messaging and results analysis
- Experience using social media add-on applications, e.g. Hootsuite
- Ability to think and work logically and work accurately with attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Initiative, good judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Knowledge of UN Women/UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Working knowledge of any other UN language is an asset.
Click here to apply