Welcome to the position of Computer Assistant at UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
Location: Campus Highfield
Salary: £21,135 to £24,871 Per year
6 month full-time fixed-term contract
Closing Date: Tuesday, June 07, 2022
Date of interview: be confirmed
We are looking to appoint 3 Welcome IT Assistants to support the Service Desk to provide front line support in an ITIL based environment to work Monday to Friday from June 2022 to November 2022 (6 months fixed term). This role is crucial in supporting two of the University’s key activities during one of our busiest times of the year. iSolutions is one of the largest departments in the University’s Professional Services Group, providing IT facilities, data communications and telephone services in support of all University activities, including learning and University teaching, research and administration. You will enjoy operating as a high performing member and contributor to a busy, dynamic and exciting department, working to extremely high standards and committed to meeting tight deadlines with high levels of customer satisfaction.
We offer excellent benefits including a pension plan, generous vacations and the opportunity to develop your career in a professional, friendly and enjoyable work environment.
About the role
The Welcome IT Assistant role will be primarily focused on supporting 2 key academic activities called Pre-Session and Welcome. During the pre-sessional period, the role will be to provide IT support and advice to international students and guardians working remotely in their home countries, as well as supporting international students and guardians on the Highfield campus. During the onboarding period, the role will also include helping new and returning students and staff access University IT systems and services. The support you provide will be face-to-face and via email, phone and video calls.
The Service Desk offers a highly professional, state-of-the-art IT support service to a diverse user community of over 25,000 University staff and students, providing front-line technical service to our customers and directing inquiries more techniques to our 2n/a or 3rd line support teams.
This role would suit someone who already has 1st online IT support experience, or someone with customer service experience with a good level of IT skills and some technical understanding who is looking to start a career in IT support.
what you gonna do
- Log all incidents, requests and responses in the University’s IT Service Management tool, providing first line solutions where appropriate and escalating to second and third line support where necessary after the management process incidents
- Assist users and customers (staff, students and visitors) in the use of iSolutions products and services as well as in the resolution of reported incidents and service requests.
- Be proactive in identifying trends and advising the Team Leader on possible service implications and solutions. Schedule extra work and ticket management around day-to-day tasks ensuring the smooth running of the office
- Document and use problem responses and incident resolution information to help develop an effective knowledge base for use within the Service Desk and by our users
What you will bring
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills and experience as well as strong troubleshooting technical support skills in a multi-platform office environment, on a networked infrastructure across multiple sites. You will have a proactive approach to problem management, excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to communicate using technical and non-technical language.
You will also be able to demonstrate experience/knowledge of using and supporting some or all of the areas below:
- MS Windows environments including registry and management console
- MS Office products
- MS exchange
- Active Directory
- Remote Software Deployment
- Remote Support Tools
- Recording of queries using an ITSM tool or comparable database
- The user obtains information within the deadlines and SLAs defined
You must submit your completed online application form to https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The deadline for applications will be midnight on the closing date listed above. If you need help, please call Jane Sturgeon (Human Resources Recruitment Team) on +44 (0)23 8059 4043 or email [email protected] Please quote reference 1828922JF in all correspondence.